Every year, one of the biggest draw during the NBA All-Star Weekend is the NBA All-Star Slam Dunk Contest. It went through phases of awesomeness to boring crappy dunks throughout the years. But last year, it was spectacular! My family & I was very fortunate enough to score 4 tickets to watch the 2016 Slam-Dunk Contest on home soil in Toronto at the Air Canada Centre.
Many peeps agreed that 2016 was one of the best in history. Vince Carter’s dunks (back in 2000), no doubt, is still the best ones, he is on the league of his own, there is no doubt about that. However, during that year, it was just all Vince Carter highlight reel. What made last year’s contest so great was the fact that Zack Lavine of the Minnesota Timberwolves & Aaron Gordon of the Orlando Magic went neck-and-neck, dunk-for-dunk throughout the entire contest. Their dunks were crazy and insane! And the best part? They both only need 1 or 2 tries to complete each difficult dunk. The elements of head-to-head, building the momentum, the dunk-off were what made it so great! I was very grateful to be in the building to witness it in person.
At the end, Zach Lavine took home the slam dunk trophy. But in my mind, Aaron Gordon should have been the winner. Anyhow, no worries, fast forward to 2017 in New Orleans, where this year’s Slam Dunk Contest is going to be held, Aaron Gordon is coming back for the 2nd time. Zach Lavine is injured and thus, will not return to defend his slam dunk title.
The following 4 players are this year’s 2017 Slam Dunk Contest Contestants:
- DeAndre Jordan: Los Angeles Clippers – 6’11” (first timer)
- Glenn Robinson III: Indiana Pacers – 6′ 6″ (first timer)
- Derrick Jones Jr.: Phoenix Suns – 6′ 7″ (first timer)
- Aaron Gordon: Orlando Magic – 6′ 9″ (returnee)
MoVernie Pick: Aaron Gordon
Reasons why I think Aaron Gordon will win this slam-dunk title:
I am picking Aaron Gordon of the Orlando Magic to win this year’s Slam-Dunk Title and here are the reasons.
- Aaron Gordon had been to the world stage last year, he is very comfortable with a strong mindset and know exactly what to expect and what he needs to do to impress the judges and the crowd this time.
- There maybe fear that his 2nd time around that his creativity will drop. However, I beg to differ as Aaron mentioned that he will involves technology and being innovative about this dunks this year, so I trust his creativity.
- Aaron comes in with a chip on his shoulder that he should have won the dunk contest last year, so he is hungry for more. The “Redemption” is KEY.
- Many of the judges (especially for those who returns to be the on the judging panel this year), must felt bad for Aaron who didn’t win last year. So there will be consolation prize points this time around for Aaron.
In Summary: As long as Aaron Gordon to F*ck up his dunks, and he continues to provide creativity and finishing his dunk in one or two tries, he should be crowned the slam dunk winner this time around!
Reasons why I don’t think the other contestants will win the slam dunk?
- I am never a fan of tall players dunking, it’s not pretty to watch. They are more bulky and less mobile to do difficult tricks. DeAndre Jordan’s dunks are powerful but most of the time, I just don’t see how he can do difficult tricks with his long legs. I just don’t see the hang time or the creativity in him. Last year, Andre Drummond from the Detroit Pistons were one of the contestants. He couldn’t finish most of his dunks, it was a waste of an entry to say the least.
- As for Glen Robinson III and Derrick Jones Jr? As their names summed it up, they are too junior to make an impact. The only dark horse I could see or at least stand a 10% chance would be Glen Robinson III. I seen him dunk before and at 6’6″, it’s a good height to elevate and do crazy tricks. However, I don’t see any threat from these 3 guys who can steal the crown off Aaron’s head. It’s Aaron Gordon’s crown to lose.
What: NBA All-Star Saturday Night Verizon Slam Dunk Contest
When: Saturday, Feb. 18, at 8 p.m. ET (third event)
Where: Smoothie King Center
And MoVernie is outta here!