Welcome to the Marie Selby Botanical Gardens located in Sarasota, Florida! This is a botanical garden that dedicates to the display and study of epiphytes, especially orchids and bromeliads, and their canopy ecosystems. The vision of the botanical garden, as I found it on its website, states “To provide an oasis of inspiration and tranquility, while furthering the understanding and appreciation of plants, especially epiphytes.” This is definitely an ongoing “Living Plant Museum“.
This botanical garden has so much to see. There are various sections throughout the entire piece of land. From the entrance to the exhibit, I got to see so many plants on display. I really enjoyed the green house part of the exhibit. It’s a bit humid in the green house as they need to maintain a certain moisture and temperature to keep the flowers and plants in their best possible conditions. It’s unbelievable of how colourful flowers could make me so happy.
During our visit there, there was an Andy Warhol inspired display of flowers and plants. It’s so cool and artsy! After strolling through the indoor green house, we walked outside to check out other plants that live outside in the outdoor environment. Tons of tall trees and the best part about this botanical garden is that….it’s located along the Bayfront. So, we could see the water activities and the beautiful Bayfront from the perspective of this botanical garden.
MoVernie Recommendations – While Visiting Marie Selby Botanical Gardens
- Check out the business hours of the Marie Selby Botanical Gardens – https://selby.org/visit/
- Marie Selby Botanical Gardens has something for everyone. Click here to check out the special events that you may have interest in attending.
- I highly recommend you to check out this map of the Marie Selby Garden so you can get an idea of the various exhibits you get to check out and prioritize which exhibit you would like to see if you have only a certain amount of time during your visit.
- Wear comfy shoes as this botanical garden is quite big and have lots to see. Wear sunscreen, hats and shades and drinks lots of water especially if you are visiting during the afternoon hours and on a super bright sunny day.
- Chill at the cafe for a nice break before seeing more exhibits.
- There are parking spots available near the botanical garden. But I recommend you to park your car at the Bayfront Park and take a nice walk along the shore, check out the water, the nature and walk to the botanical garden. It’s such a nice walk along the shore that it’s nice and calm before you enjoy more living plants and flowers at the botanical garden. Check out my MoVernie BLOG on the Bayfront Park.
Social Media Photogenic Spots:
There are tons of social media worthy spots for you to photoshoot.
- Inside the green house exhibit, there is a nice mist and rain fall display, it’s a great spot to do an InstaStory.
- In the same green house, there is a sofa booth (see photo above), it’s a great spot to sit and observe all the beautiful plants on display. The cubby design of the backdrop also makes a good photo opportunity.
- On the outdoor of the botanical garden, they had tons of cool backdrops or displays that were perfect for all types of photo opportunities. Check out the photo right below and see for yourself on the sun rays, colours and patterns.
Marie Selby Botanical Gardens
Address: 900 S Palm Ave, Sarasota, FL 34236, USA