This week, I am On the MOVE with the 2020 Fiat 500X Sport AWD to tour around Ontario as part of my “Ontario Travel Series” segment. And it comes with a bright red colour that is eye catching, sharp and just gets everyone’s attention. It definitely has an unique look to it with Italian characters in style!
After driving this cross-over SUV for a good few days touring around Ontario, in this segment of my MoVernie BLOG, let me give you my overall product review of this ride. I will tell you what are the Pros (What I like) and Cons (What I dislike).
Profile: 2020 Fiat 500X Sport AWD
Body Type: 4 door, 5 passengers, subcompact, cross-over SUV
Trim Level: Sport
MSRP: $33,745 CDN (as listed on Fiat Canada’s official website)
Engine Type: 1.3L 16V MultiAir Turbo Direct Injection Engine, 177 hp & 210 lb-ft of torque
Fuel Consumption: Hwy 7.9L/100 KM (36 mpg), City 10.0L/100 KM (28 mpg)
Fiat is an Italian brand that has been in the Canadian automobile market for quite a number of years now. It first introduced the iconic Fiat 500 subcompact hatchback as its first vehicle of entry to the Canadian market. It’s a comfy, classy subcompact and people seems to enjoy the fun small ride. When the Fiat Canada PR Team asked me if I want to test drive the Fiat 500X, I had to googled it a bit coz I didn’t know Fiat has a SUV! I hardly seen it on the road, so I was even more intrigue what this 500X is all about.
As I picked up the Fiat 500X Sport AWD, it looks super sharp in the bright red body paint. It resembles alot like the Fiat 500 hatchback, the major difference? The 500X is larger, taller, raised up higher and wider. But it truly carry the Fiat tradition and DNA design cues throughout the entire vehicle.
The Fiat 500X definitely is a show stopper. Everywhere that I drove it, people kept staring at it. In fact, there were a few times a few people asked me at the parking lot what model is this Fiat. I said “Fiat 500X”, many of them didn’t know this SUV existed. I guess that’s a good product placement coz now more people know about it and will research and learn more about it and who knows, they may put this 500X as one of their vehicles for consideration when it’s time for them to purchase.
Fiat 500X comes with many different trim levels to fit the needs of different people wants and needs. There are 1) Pop; 2) Trekking; 3) Sport and 4) Trekking Plus. I was told that the “sport” trim level is new for 2020. I checked the Fiat Canada website to see how each trim levels look for the Fiat 500X. I have to say, sport trim level fits my style the most as it’s looks more sporty inside and out and I luv sporty vehicles.
Engine & Specs:
Fiat 500X, regardless of any trim levels, it comes with a standard engine, 1.3L 16V MultiAir Turbo Direct Injection Engine that pumps out 177hp with 210 lbs ft of torque, coupled with a 9-speed automatic transmission.
Compared to other competitors in this category, this is quite a relatively more powerful engine plan and one of the best in its class with some pop to have some fun driving around town. I am super impressed of how small the 1.3L engine can pump out this type of power. The KEY to me is the 210 lb-ft of torque!
Pros (What I like):
– A long list of standard features on this Fiat 500X: I am super impressed with the amount of standard features on this sport trim level. From lane changing warning signal, heated seats to backup camera, this ride offers lots of standard goodies than its other competitors.
– Standard LED headlights and taillights (many of its competitors don’t offer LEDs and in fact, many vehicles from other brands don’t offer LED as standard equipment. But the LED is very helpful especially when driving in the evening, it’s bright and clear to see where I am going).
– Unique Italian styling: Of course, whether you like the styling or not really depends on your preference and style sense. But for me, this 500X definitely has its own unique character and flavour. It easily stands out from the crowd.
– A long variety of body paint choices: Many car companies nowadays don’t offer much body paint selections. It’s usually the typical black, white, silver and red. But Fiat 500X has a long list of different unique colour choices for people to choose from. I like that. And some of the colour choices are funky and looks nice on this 500X.
– Engine Power: Although the displacement is relatively small (1.3L) and there are unavoidable turbo lag especially in the lower speed bandwidth, when this Fiat 500X is driven at higher speed, it has good power and acceleration to pass by other vehicles. The 177hp and 210 lb-ft of torque is definitely one of the best its class.
– Engine Starter: Not many vehicle offers an engine starter, but it does offer it as a standard equipment in this sport trim level. You will appreciate this lovely feature in the winter when outside is so damn cold and you can start the engine from inside your home, while the vehicle is warmed up and waiting for you to get inside and go to work in a comfortable driving environment.
– Super Cold Air Conditioning: I luv the air conditioning in this Fiat 500X. It cools down the cabin very quickly. Everyone who sat in my ride told me how cold the air conditioning is. And in super hot weather in the summer, a powerful air conditioning is much appreciated. I have to say this air conditioning in the Fiat 500X is by far the coldest machine I ever experienced in any vehicle. This is a HUGE Bonus!
– Easy to Use Infotainment & Ventilation Layout: I really appreciate how simple the layout of where everything is located. The touch screen infotainment is easy to operate. The ventilation system, knobs and layout is very functional and easy to comprehend.
– Cool Shift-tronic Gear Box: I have test drove a number of vehicles. Many of them offers the shift-tronic gear box feature that allows the driver a semi-driving experience of upshift or downshift, just to have a little taste of what it’s like driving manual. Anyhow, some of the other manufacturers shift-tronic doesn’t shift well. Usually, it has an awkward jerking motion of the down shift, making everyone in the car feels uncomfortable with the sudden downshift motion. But not in this 500X, the shift was fun and smooth.
– Great Audio System: My tester has a Sirius XM and during our Lavazza Drive-In experience, we need to tune into a special radio channel to listen to the audio of the film. We found the audio system clean, crisp and sounds good. It really enhance the overall enjoyment of the film.
– Luv the Sport Steering Wheel: Stylish steering wheel. It has a some-what pentagon shape steering wheel, which is a bit different than from other vehicles with a circular shape. I luv the red stitches along the steering and the suede-like material at the 3 pm and 9 pm position of the steering wheel. It feels comfy and super sporty.
– 3 Power USB Outlets: Many vehicles that I test drove usually offer 1 or 2 USB outlets. This Fiat offers 2 power outlets for the front passengers and 1 outlet for the back. That’s a nice touch as many of us uses tablets, smartphones that we need to charge our phones. More outlets mean unlikely fights between the passengers over the charging stations. This is super thoughtful by the Fiat designers.
Cons (What I Dislike):
– Turbo Lag: With the 1.3L turbo engine, there are unavoidable turbo lags. It especially happened at the lower rpm, sometimes, when I pressed my foot to the gas pedal, there isn’t any response, I had to wait a bit for it to charge up before it takes off from a traffic light. There were some inconvenience and getting used to, but once I get the vehicle up to speed, there is great power to over take other cars.
– Would Prefer Better Fit & Finish and Refinement: I would prefer a little bit more refinement and better fit & finish from this ride. This is especially evident when closing the doors, the sound of the cabin and the insulation could be done better. I would prefer car parts such as the glove box could use a little bit higher grade material and more stronger material, so it looks less cheap.
– Cramp Back Seat Space: Me and other people who sat at the back seats felt a bit cramp and would prefer a little bit more leg room for the rear passengers.
– No Centre Console On the Back Seat: Many vehicles now offer a centre console on the back seat, so when no one is sitting in the middle rear seat that the other passengers can pull down the console and put drinks on the cup holders or act as an armrest. Unfortunately, this Fiat 500X doesn’t offer that.
– Bumpy Ride: Ride is a bit rough for my taste. You could feel almost every bump that the vehicle goes over. I would prefer a little bit more of a comfy ride. But again, it really depends on the preference of an individual. Everyone prefers different type of ride experience.
– Would Love a Sunroof. Optional feature But NOT On My Tester: My tester doesn’t have a sunroof, although the Fiat 500X website said the sunroof is an optional feature. I highly recommend you to get a sunroof. It creates more head space, letting more sun in. And I found a sunroof super important coz during our drive-in experience, when we are watching the film, we don’t turn on the air conditioning. We roll down the windows. We would luv to have sunroof to get more air circulate into the cabin to give us more breeze.
– Odd Number Speedometer: I don’t know if the Fiat 500X has any setting options but my tester speedometer displays the speed in odd number. For example, 30 km/h, 50 km/h, 70 km/h. Of all of the vehicles that I have driven in my life, the speedometer display is always shown in even number such as 20 km/h, 40 km/h, 60 km/h and etc. So, I wasn’t used to seeing the speed in odd numbers
MoVernie Verdict: Overall, I think if you are shopping for a subcompact cross-over SUV, you can put this Fiat 500X as your consideration. Give it a test drive and see for yourself. It has ample of standard list of equipment. It offers one of the powerful engine in its class offering 177hp andn 210 lb-ft of torque. If you want something different with unique character and styling, Fiat 500X definitely is different from the rest of typical looking SUV offered by other car manufacturers.
The 2020 Fiat 500X Sport AWD was provided by Fiat Canada. However, as always, the opinions expressed in this post is entirely my own.
Care Package Test:
– Excellent Space To Put Care Package: With the “New” normal to fight COVID-19. Most of us now have to place Lysol, hand sanitizer, mask and gloves in our vehicles, so one of my new criteria is to see if there are enough cabin space to put our care package supplies. This 500X has a nice cabby bin underneath the ventilation system to put the hand sanitizer. Also, I can put my mask near the door handle and hooks at the top side of each rear doors. The cup holder can also fit a big Lysol container. So, great job Fiat 500X!